AFRICA ADVENTURE ACADEMY eCampus
your opportunity to learn, share and collaborate
Sustainable and Resilient Enterprises - SURE Tourism
Business resiliency is key for small and medium sized enterprises. The ILO (International Labour Organisation) SURE training programme empowers your business in the face of unexpected multiple hazards such as pandemics, cyber attacks, natural disasters, economic upheavals, and social disruptions.
In today's globalized world, businesses face a vast array of threats to their operations. The COVID-19 pandemic has underlined, as never before, that businesses need to be prepared to face unexpected events. In short, they need to be resilient and sustainable.
The Sustainable & Resilient Enterprise (SURE) Programme consists of six core modules teaching business leaders nine resilience practices that can be customized for their needs. Developed through a partnership by the ILO and GIZ, and with the support of a global advisory group, these modules are taught through a blended combination of webinars, self-guided eLearning, and individual coaching. You will create a business resilience strategy applicable to your specific needs by the end of SURE training.
ADAPT YOUR BUSINESS
SURE training allows for comprehensive crisis management planning and provides tangible processes for SME leaders to build user-friendly crisis management tools. This training empowers leaders and businesses to face and manage threats from any kind of hazard, crisis, or disaster.
Who's this for?
The SURE Training Programme has been designed for people looking to better understand the risks of running a business and how to avoid, share, reduce or even accept them.
The course has a clear, easy-to-understand approach and will enable you to get to grips with a variety of tools and templates. The knowledge you take away from this course will enable you to immediately apply what you’ve learned by compiling a Business Resilience Strategy for your business which gives you the ability to anticipate and respond to crisis, not only to survive and recover but also to evolve.
This course has been designed for:
- small-medium business owners
- upper & middle level management
This course also addresses common challenges, including:
- understanding crisis leadership – What traits are required by a leader who can achieve results during crisis?
- identifying business priority – What are the critical business functions for your business priority?
- recognizing the dangers your business could face - What are hazards and how to analyse risk?
- preventive action to minimise risks - How to build a risk register?
- understanding the bigger picture - How to respond when a sever event (crisis) happens?
- choosing the right path for your business during and after crisis - What are business adaptation strategies and how do they rate?
- enabling your employees to be an assets during crisis – Why does cross-training your employees increases the resilience of your business?
The SURE Tourism training programme should be completed by a business leader, i.e. the business owner or a middle manager/supervisor who acts as business resilience delegate on behalf of the owner.
Participants should be ready to dedicate approx. 52 hours (18 hours for webinars, 4 hours for self-guided eLearning, and 30 hours for application of business resilience tools and development of business resilience strategy) distributed over several weeks to take part in the training programme and to share their learning experience with their colleagues.
Throughout the training programme, participants are required to complete a series of business resilience tools and to write a customized business resilience strategy with the support of a dedicated business improvement team or another group of relevant colleagues.
The SURE training journey is spread across four modules and consists of 16 learning units.
The online classes provide participants with core training content on a step-by-step basis. Each online class introduces a new business resilience tool which participants will use to gradually build their business resilience strategy throughout the programme. During those online classes participants have the opportunity to engage with their peers, coaches, and external experts.
Self-guided eLearning units give participants the opportunity to study complementary training content at their own pace. A business resilience coach will be available throughout the training programme to provide participants with support to apply the business resilience tools, develop the business resilience strategy, and to motivate them to complete the programme.
MODULE 1 - Laying the foundations
Introduces participants to the SURE programme, its objectives and to the training team involved. In addition, participants are prompted to assess the current resilience state of their enterprises and receive practical inputs to successfully take part in the SURE training programme through reflecting upon their crisis leadership skills and exploring good practices to engage staff in the development of the business resilience strategy. In a webinar with local experts, participants will analyse their business ecosystem and analyse potential sources of risk and identify opportunities to build resilience.
- Online Class 1 Welcome to the SURE programme
- Online Class 2 What is business resilience
- Online Class 3 Crisis leadership
- Self-guided eLearning unit 1 Staff engagement
- Online Class 4 The business ecosystem
MODULE 2 - Identifying hazards and treating risks
Introduces participants to essential risk assessment tools. Starting with the identification of their critical business functions, participants identify hazards and impact scenarios, undertake a risk analysis to identify their most significant risks and devise appropriate risk treatment strategies.
- Online Class 5 Critical business functions
- Online Class 6 Hazard identification and impact scenarios
- Online Class 7 Risk analysis and treatment
- Self-guided eLearning unit 2 Risk sharing approaches
MODULE 3 - Surviving & recovering after crisis
Prompts participants to develop their own incident response system including elaborating incident response playbooks as well as developing an emergency response and recovery plans. In addition, participants are encouraged to rehearse their incident response system regularly.
- Online Class 8 Incident response system part 1
- Online Class 9 Incident response system part 2
MODULE 4 - Adapting your business and evolving during crisis
Prompts participants to explore approaches and strategies to enhance their businesses and to be able to “build back better” after crisis. This includes strategies to adapt their businesses, to build the skills and competencies within their organizations to become an agile and resilient businesses and to foster a culture of continuous innovation.
- Online Class 10 Business adaptation
- Self-guided eLearning Unit 3 Digital Transformation
- Online Class 11 Training and Skills Development
- Self-guided eLearning Unit 4 Continuous improvement
- Online Class 12 Coaching and What Next
Assignment Business Resiliene Strategy
- Creation and submission of Business Resilience Strategy
Dates & Requirements
SURE Tourism training oportunities available on request.
There are 6 online classes and 4 self-guided eLearning units during this time and the total time investment including assignments is approximatly 52 hours.
- commit to sending a business resilience delegate to the SURE training programme who is available to dedicate at least 52 hours to the training
- be motivated to support the business resilience delegate during the development of a customized business resilience strategy with information, technical inputs, and general support
- preferably, commit to create a business improvement team that supports the business resilience delegate during the development of a customized business resilience strategy
- be in possession of a laptop or desk computer or tablet (larger tablet can be accepted but not a smart phone!)
Fees & Registration
A registration fee of ZAR 2750 per participant is due on invoice after the application has been approved. Members of the Africa Adventure Tourism Network will receive a 10% discount on the registration fee.
Withdrawal, Cancellation and Refund Policy
- 14 days or more prior to the start date of the course: No penalty, 100% refund of amount paid less applicable bank charges
- 8 to 13 days prior to the start date of the course: Penalty of 50% of course price, refund of residual amount paid (if any) less applicable bank charges
- 7 days or less prior to the start date of the course: Penalty of 100% of course price, e.g. no refund.
Please send us an email to email@example.com to inquire about registration.
The ILO SURE Training follows a two-stage certification process.
- Certificate of Completion is issued upon successful completion of the SURE training programme and the submission of the SURE Evaluation Questionnaire. Important: A minimum of 80% participation in the online learning classes and 100% in the self-guided eLEarning modules is required to qualify for the certificate.
- Certificate of Achievement is issued after above requirements are fulfilled e.g. a Certificate of Completion has been issued and the final assignment (Business Resilience Strategy) has been submitted and evaluated as acceptable.
Both certificates are digital and will be issued by the Africa Adventure Academy featuring both, Africa Adventure Academy and the International Labour Organisation. This course is not registered with South Africa's NQF scheme and therefore you will not qualify to earn any points at the NQF.
What participants have to say about SURE Tourism
The introduction of SURE Tourism (Sustainable and Resilient Enterprises in Tourism) to the industry in October 2022 was welcomed by more that 170 SME's who have enrolled to learn about not only surviving but also thriving during a crisis. Here is some of the feedback received from participants:
"Firstly a huge thank you for the time and dedication you have given us during the training. It was well paced, content was excellent and support was always available. I assist management with the compilation of the risk assessment reports impacting the business. This training has given me the insight to improve on this report and provide a much broader approach to the risks at hand. This report continuously interrogates the micro and macro environments and the training material provided gives us a simplistic approach to adapt it to these situations. I will definitely be incorporating the learnings into future reports. Once again, thank you for your insight and guidance, it is really appreciated!"
Prashiga Peter, Senior Researcher, Durban ICC
"This was one of the best ideas to apply and finish the program. Companies should understand the value and enrichment a course like this may have for their businesses. At first I did not really understand with what value I will walk away. Thank you for this enormous blessing of a course you provided."
Mona Preller, Owner, Alles Magazine
"Following the programme, I have clear ideas of what I would we should be doing as a company to build resilience. The two aspects that stood out for me was staff training and putting together a playbook of any possible risks to make sure we are prepared and equipped to take on any challenges. I will be putting together a training and engagement plan which we will implement in the coming months and revise yearly. Well done on putting this together! I feel inspired and learned tons."
Eloise Williams, Marketing Manager, De Hoop Collection
"Thank you Enya, it was really a pleasant experience to deal with you and the other trainers. I am used to the corporate world and the standards set there. You and the Africa Adventure team compares excellent with the Sasol environment I worked in for more than 20 years. I really enjoyed the time on the course. May you impact on and assist many more business owners."
Jacqueline Porteus, Owner, Stoep Cafe